Saturday, February 4, 2012

WW // Leadmines // Threerock - MTB spin

The temperature has been very friendly today so I decided to take advantage of it and hopped on the MTB to get a good XC training spin done. Wet and damp morning it was, but still very mild though. 

The plan was to have the first short segment of the Wicklow Way done, then hop over to Leadmines to do the Epic Club Course and do a little bit up on Threerock on the way home. So, there was no time to waste on this lovely Saturday morning!

My route this morning

I started to climb the Kilmashogue Lane as a good warmup. After the short tarmac bit and the longer fire road climb I got up to the top and started to descent towards Glencullen when I've seen something that I really liked!

The "brand new"...I should say repaired section of the WW

The downhill section of the WW between the junction of the WW / Dublin Mountain Way and the Ballybrack tarmac road was very critical for a good while. The erosion was huge and it just got worst every year. But this sector has been repaired now! The massive "V" shaped trail has been filled and they put many water drains into it as well. This way the previously tricky enough trail is nice and quick now. There are good few of these "steps" along the way also which, I have to say certenly fun to ride! :)

On the well maintained sector of the WW

When I hit the tarmac road I kept going towards Leadmines where I amied to have a lap on the Epic Club Course. It was muddy and wet but it was just perfect just the way it was. From Leadmines I started to head back towards Stepaside. I got up to Threerock on the way home to have a go on the Metro Trail before I finish my spin for the day. By the time I got to Threerock the place was pack of course so I didn't spend too much time there. From there nearly the whole way is downhill, so I got back home quickly just in time for lunch.

My training spin was 3 hours long and did get 50 km done with a little more than 1000m elevation gain. 'Cause the weather didn't make me suffer this time it was just pure fun! And the fact I visited 3 of my favourite MTB destinations around Dublin just made the ride even better. Loved it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment