Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wicklow Way preparation - Stage 1.2


This morning I have gone out on the bike to ride the next stage of the Wicklow Way as a preparation of the big plan. The map I've bought before has the whole Wickow Way broken down to stages, so it is handy to get a nice over view of the route.

The last time we got as far as Glencullen River. This morning I have covered the Stage 1.1 also to have the kilometers and all the climb into my legs. I have started the today's stage from Glencullen River and I got as far as Cloon. This was the stage for the day.

I left early enough to get the spin done in time. The tempereture was still cold, most of the trail was frozen still by the time I got up there. After I have crossed the Glencullen River I have started a quiet constant and long fire road climb up to the mountain. I've had to cross over two pedestrian gates, I could only get through with the bike lifted over my head because they are very narrow.

After the climb I got to a flat section of the trail that was full of stone water drains. They are quiet shallow and narrow, so it was easy to cross them without any problem. But then...I arrived to the savage section of my journey. There was this downhill section build from rocks and stones. I didn't want to risk it (it was still frozen) so I did pick up the bike and walked this bit. It was serious! 

From there a short section of the trail leads to the long and fast fire road decent, but before that I had to cross couple of water drains again. This time they were trees laid down across the trail. It was fun, I liked them very much. 

The fire road leads back to the tarmac road that leads to Enniskerry, so when I hit that road I have turned towards the village and cycled back home on the tarmac road. 

Photos:






General information on the terrain:
  • tarmac road
  • fire road
  • singletrack 
  • technical singletrack with rocks 
  • extremely technical singletrack with huge rocks
Difficulties:
  • many water drains on the trail, most of them are rideable
  • watch out for the wood water drain, can be very slippery
  • the short rocky section is EXTREME, only ride it if you are 100% confident
  • the loose gravel can be tricky on the way down from Prince William's Seat
I am happy with today's bike, it was great to ride along the Wicklow Way. After this ride I can tell: it is gonna be an epic ride. Very long and difficult, but it is going to be epic! Can't wait to ride the next stage, that time I want to get as far as Djouce.

No comments:

Post a Comment