Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fixx Supercross Cup Round 1. // race report




Today I managed to do something that I wanted to for a very long time: get into cyclocross racing. I was looking forward to experience what this unique discipline is offering to me and the 2012 season opener Fixx Supercross Cup Round 1 was the perfect race to test myself.

I was very excited in the last few days about the race and also a bit nervous because the CX bike is ready for about a week at this point but I never had a chance to ride it properly before the race...so I wasn't super confident about how things will go today! But hey, the only way to find it out if I give it a go, hah? 



Got to the race venue nice and early enough so I had plenty of time to get myself and the gear ready for the race. Luckily the weather was super sweet to us today so at least I did no need to worry about this part of my race day. :)


John & myself, ready to roll

After the super fast registration and preparation I went out to do a couple of practice laps on the course. The first thing that surprised me was the lenght of the course: it was very short compare to a normal MTB race course but this is pretty standard in CX. I really got a nice feel of the course straight after the first lap, so I was looking forward to the start of the race. I have no experience or anything but I thought there was a very nice balance between the tarmac and the grass sectors and also liked the twisty lines on the course. I think the run-up and also the boards were good and easly manageable. The lovely looking park was just a bonus on the top of all this, was nice to have a race venue in such a nice looking place.


Quick chat before the start

Only few seconds 'til we shoot out! :)

START!!! - We went off like a bullet! The pace was insane straight from the start, we went eyeballs out! Super intense it was and I have to say I needed about 2 laps to settle down and start to feel a bit more "comfortable" if there such term exists in CX!!

I was racing in the B race, so we had 6 laps to ride on the 2,3 km long race course with the estimated race time of 45 minutes. So there was no place and no time for any sort of tactics, just ride on 100% for the whole race. The speed was unbeliveable at some stages. Checked the Garmin after the race and the max speed we hit was 49,3 km/h which isn't bad on knobbly tyres I'd say. Savage!


Trying to stay with the leader group in the first lap - keyword: trying...

On the run-up bit

Super fast tarmac sector

On my own for a little while

Hopping the boards

One more run-up before...

...I get closer and closer to the finish during my last lap

After 44 minutes and 24 seconds and a LOTS OF SUFFERING I crossed the finish line in the 16th place (out of 51 riders) and completed my very first cyclocross race. Of course there's plenty to improve for the upcoming races but for now I'm happy with this. Fantastic experience it was, brilliant atmosphere! Loved every minute of it! :)


Wrecked but still with happy face: great time on the bike today

I had a great race, I really enjoyed myself today. I'm glad I could give CX a shot and after today I can tell for sure I will do more races in this brilliant and special discipline. The buzz was amazing and the course was so much fun to ride that it's hard to explain! I have to say I'm still buzzing and can't stop thinking about today's race! If the upcoming season will be as cool as this race was I can't tell how much I'm looking forward to the 2012 CX season. Bring it on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment