Saturday, May 18, 2013

Giant Talon 29er 1 // 29er Test Spin # 2



After my first 29er test back in Hungary I was buzzing and I didn't rest until I got a demo bike for the weekend so I got to try the big wheels on my home trails in the Wicklow Mountains. Roots, rocks, tight switchback turns & trail centres were all waiting for me and the beast looking Giant Talon 29er 1!


After a few modifications the machine was ready to rock!

So, the main plan was to give the 29er a proper try on all those trails that I'm usually riding on. This way I can really compare it with the 26" bike. The route that I've picked had some nice combination of a bit of everything: tarmac road, fire road, rocky trails, forest trails, sweet techical climbs & descents.

My first destination was the Leadmines and of course the Epic MTB Club Course. One of my favourite XC course that really puts rider & bike under test! Then I went up to Threerock to do some natural trails and the Coillte Trails as well to put the bike through a bit different stuff. 

I really gave everything I got today and I'm very happy with how this spin turned out. Enjoyed the bike, enjoyed the ride and got another step closer to revolutionize my mountain biking! :)

Thumbs up to the 29er!


My thoughts after the second test ride

  • One of the biggest suprise was the fact that I definitely feel comfortable on a M size frame. Flipped the stem to negative and removed all the spacers to have the bar as low as it can be and that's all! The rest of the setup was straight forward comfy!
  • These wheels are rolling fast. I mean FAST! It's very easy either to get up to a high speed with them or to maintain the speed with less effort. I noticed this mainly on the road / fire road but also very noticeable on singletracks.  
  • Because of the bigger wheels the contact patch is bigger too, so the other thing that was very hard to miss is the added traction. Climbing on steep & technical climbs was easier for sure and the cornering ability of the bike was brilliant as well. Extra speed on uphill and extra confidence in bends. Just can't go wrong! :) 
  • The bigger wheels are rolling over obstacles easier and better and I think this was another big thing that I have noticed. Didn't need to place the front wheel that precisely, just let the big wheels take care of it. This and the added traction is the winning combination in my opinion.   







  • The only one thing I disliked a bit was the bit poor acceleration. Once the bike is in motion changing the pace is not a bother but building up speed from standing position takes a bit more time. However I'm sure this issue can be fixed with a nice set of light wheels and tyres! :)

Hmm...If you ask me about 29ers about a year ago I would of said that they are not my cup of tea. But now (especially after today's spin) I take the risk and say it out loud: I like them!! The bikes with the big wheels changed a lot, got much better in my opinion. Yes, there is a hidden (or nor so hidden) marketing pressure about them but let's not get into that...

But I can tell: what I experienced on this 29er's saddle today was something that convinced me: it was fast, was just as easy to handle as my 26" XC bike and the overall riding experience was just simply very positive! And that's more than enough for me!! :)

Many thanks to Richie Byrne from Giant Store Dublin for lending me this machine, I appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment