Saturday, August 19, 2017

IX. Tour de Pásztó // Race report




Another great race day is done & dusted. Today I was lining up at the start line of the IX. Tour de Pásztó. The popular family event is basically a 11,5 km long hillclimb with 270 meters elevation gain. As the race venue is pretty close to my place it was straight forward decision when I signed up to the race. 


As the race course was very short we decided to mix things up a little and fitted the hillclimb race into our regular MTB spin that was planned for the day anyway. The itiner was looking like this: cycle over from Zagyvaszántó to Pásztó as a warmup, do the event and ride some proper savage singletracks and take the long way home. The perfect plan! :) 


Priceless photo: my dad and me are racing together again after 13 years! Brilliant!  


After the quick warmup spin to the venue we got the registration sorted and soon we were waiting for the start. Of course we had time for...


...chilling in the shadow. 

3..2..1..GO! Off we went and started our climb in the scorching heat. The group was very mixed. There were lot of road boys and a big bunch on mountain bikes too. I wasn't sticking to anyone, I was doing my own thing. My own thing on the single speed XC weapon. :) 


After 28 minutes of hard work in the 33°C heat I crossed the finish line. The race went ok... could have been faster but today this was what I could give. But hey! Leaving road riders behind on a single speed MTB with fat tyres is a good thing! Isn't it? :) I managed to finish 20th in my category.


At the finish line (photo credit: Tour de Pásztó)


Quick rest after the finish


Had a nice bottle of ice cold grape juice and a beautiful chocolate bar from the local shop to refill the body. And...


... re-charge the machine also for the long and hard way home accross the mountains. 

The event was very well run, thank you everyone involved. The climb was nice also. But after all I'm a mountain biker and to be honest after the race we were in the middle of our Saturday MTB spin with the best trails still to come! The route was excellent with the Nyikom on the way and some brutal fast, bone dry and dusty descent into Gyöngyöspata.  


Couldn't ask for better view this afternoon!


Stunning! Absolutely woth the hard work to get up to 750 meters!


Dreaming about a nice meal on the first floor of the Nyikom Tower


After today I think it's ok for me to say that we just had one on the best spin this summer. I enjoyed every minute of it and I can only hope it wasn't the last one. I loved the Tour de Pásztó also and I'm sure I'll be back next year to shave some time off from the 28 minutes. 


Massive congrast to my dad who finished 3rd in Masters Category. Well done, brilliant result! Also kudos to my awesome training buddy Józsi who beat my time with a few minutes. Good stuff! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment