Saturday, August 13, 2011

First off-road test on the single speed bike

After the single speed conversion on my bike I was very excited to give it a try up in the mountains. I took the bike up to Threerock for the first test ride couple of days ago to see how can I manage the unusual setup.

I have 2:1 gear ratio with 28T chainring on the front and 14T sprocket on the back. It seemed like an easy enough ratio...but I need to say I migh underestimated it. This became clear on the tarmac climb up to Ticknock and even more clear on the steep fire road and single track climbs on the back of the mountain. 


The first experience was the huge weight difference between the normal and the single speed setup. The 1kg weight difference is defenitely noticable. 

The most difficult part was to get up the mountain. The gradient is quiet steep at some places (20% - 22% even) so I really pushed myself on the very limit to be able to climb all of them. It is manageable but defenitely lot more difficult then normally would be.

But that's ok, I'm not surprised to be honest. It is very challenging but that is exactly the point! :) The whole riding experience is more clear in a unique way: it depends more on the rider than on the techical features of the bike. The power climbs are more difficult and the technical ones requires more skill as well. The downhill is very quiet on the bike since the chain is very tight and there is no bouncing on the back. Riding downhill is slightly different also 'cause you feel the limitation of the bike. Over a certain speed there is no chance to build up more speed 'cause of the cadence is gonna be too high. Just need to let it roll and don't pull the brakes! :)

My overall first impression on the single speed mountainbiking is very good. I do like it but I need to admit: I have to get use to it! I still have 2 more weeks to do that and get as ready as possible for the SSWC. I will try to spend the time well and deal with the specail challenge! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment