Sunday, January 26, 2014

2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 2 // The first 1000 km



Since I got the 2014 Giant Anthem 27,5 2 I have done 1000 km on the bike, so it's time to write few words about it. The bike has been my faithful partner on the trails in pretty much all conditions (dust, mud, snow, ice) and since day one all I can say: this bike is a truly amazing machine! 

One of the main thing about the Anthem is that Giant really nailed the spec on this bad boy. They got everything fitted that fits into this model's price point. The parts are mid-range ones, but they are really reilable and they are working very well indeed. The modern design features such as OverDrive 2, the bolt through front axle, the internal cable routing really add to the overall experience on this bike. Not to mention the 650b specific frame geometry and the legendary Maestro suspension design. Incredible!

After 1000 km in the saddle, the Anthem still runs like like it did on day one: smooth on the descents, agile on the climbs. No, that's is actually not true...it runs better and better every day. It was super easy to "grow onto" this bike. But let's see the details! 


Pros: 
  • the cable casings are very well sealed thanks to the internal cable routing, original cables are still running sweet & smooth
  • the wheels are quiet strong, got a couple of knocks on the trails but they are still running true
  • the Sram gear system works very well  
  • the direct mounted front mech has very good shifting performance
  • the bearings & bushings of the frame are well sealed, no maintenance on them so far


Cons:
  • the Schwalbe tyres are a bit too soft, so they wear out quiet fast  
  • the dropout design is a bit of a "week point" I think (very sensitive)


So, after the first 1000 km on the Anthem 27,5 2 I'm very-very impressed in many ways: the 650b magic truly works for me, the bike is in perfect condition even after some really rough spins in the Irish "winter". The bike works very well and I have tons of fun in the saddle every time I hit the trails on the Anthem. And that is my friends exactly what I'm after when I'm on the bike! Looking forward to the next coming 1000's of kilometers on this beast of a bike! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment