Thursday, January 16, 2014

Operation Stem Slam



Eversince I started to use the 650b Anthem the only thing that I wasn't 100% sure about was the riding position on the bike. I always had my bikes set up in a quiet "agressive" way with a nice & low front. To me it feels better, climbs better and I just simply prefer things this way. 

So, the next project was to find a way to set the bike up with a bit more slammed front so I can find the riding position I'm after. It might sounds very simple but since Giant works with OverDrive 2 standard on this bike it wasn't that easy to find a solution. 

The original stem was a Giant Connect SL stem with 80mm lenght and 8° angle. I needed something a bit longer and with a bit steeper angle. 


The original Giant stem that came with the bike

Now, since the steerer tube of the fork is 1 1/4" the selection isn't that big on the market and because I didn't just want to buy a stem that may or may not work I started a little DIY project. I had a Specialized stem with an adjustable angle in my bike box. It has a washer that allows you to set up 8° or 16° angle (depends what way the washer is fitted). 


The adjuster washer- no need for it anymore

The solution was simple from here. Took the washer away that was designed for the 1 1/8" forks and this way the stem's diameter got bigger. It was a tad bit bigger than the 1 1/4" steerer tube, so I needed to make things work with a neath custom shim between the steerer and the stem. Headset cap back on, stem bolts are tightened, the whole thing took about 30 minutes.

Checked it out, tested it out, works the way I wanted it. Happy days! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment