Sunday, July 19, 2015

Niner EMD 9 - SS // Here's the new chapter!




Good bye Cannondale - Hello Niner! I just got this beast of a bike as the replacement of the faithful F29 that I've been riding recently. The change was from one unique bike to another. And this time I opened Pandora's Box I think: I'll be riding this fully rigid, single speed Niner EMD 9 XC weapon from now on!  





Niner has been also on my wish list for a while and I can't deny that I'm happy to get my hands it. I always loved their bikes and of course their rigid carbon fork is a whole new level in my opinion.  


What a beauty! 

Real nice & tidy


But let's see some of the details here: the frame is a Niner EMD 9 that isn't single speed specific model, so there's always an option to build the bike up with gears. The fork is Niner's full carbon, rigid 29er fork. The bike rolls on Mavic CrossRide 29er wheels and WTB tyres. The stopping power comes from the set of Avid Elixir 7 brakes with carbon levers


The drivetrain is built from Truvativ Stylo cranks with a pair Shimano XTR M-980 pedals fitted, Hope 36T front chain ring and a 19T Niner rear sprocket. To keep everything tight I have a chain tensioner fitted also.


As simple as it can get

As a finishing kit I have a 720mm wide Niner alloy handlebar with a 90 mm long inverted stem, ODI grips, Truvativ seatpost and my favourite Fi'zi:k Tundra saddle. Sweet setup I think!


Riding single speed mountain bike is not new to me, I have tried it before and even competed on a single speed bike back in 2011. It is a hard work...and it can be brutal many times...but in case I'm havin' a hard time here's a nice message from the lads from Niner:


Motivation when needed! :)



So, this is my new machine from now on and I can't wait to enjoy all the simplicity and brutal hard work that only a single speed MTB can give you. 

I couldn't resist anymore so I had a sneaky little spin already on it last night and all I can say: it...is...awesome! Sorry, I mean AWESOME!!! :)


2 comments:

  1. Nagyon jó kis gép,bár én még nem láttam-hallottam róla soha hogy van egysebességes terep kerékpár.Majd meglesem egyszer.Jó tekerést vele,sok KOM-ot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Köszi! Igen, kissé különc dolog ez az egysebességes MTB. Nyugaton (USA, UK) igen elterjedt dolog és itthon is van pár elszánt bringás, aki ezt választja. Nekem is már volt szerencsém ehhez a dologhoz, 2011-ben versenyeztem a SSWC-n.

    ReplyDelete