Sunday, July 12, 2015

When things don't go well...




Something happened today. Something that never happened before...But let's go from the start. Today's spin has started out pretty well, I went up to the highest point in Hungary. The peak called Kékestető is at 1014m above sea level and the route I picked was about 45 km each way. The weather was very hot (32-34°C) but hey! It's summer time, isn't it?! 

The way up went well, nothing extraordinary happened besides battling the biggest climb in the country. I had fun as you do, took a quick photo and the turned back home. Even managed to spice things up by picking the mega fast descent on the ski slope.  


Descending on the ski slope is alway fun

After the long descent back to Gyöngyös things started to feel a bit "funny" though. I started to feel bad on the bike and things got worse pretty rapidly. At first I couldn't place this thing at all since I've had plenty of water & food along the way...

I was dizzy, I had nausea, head ache and I got pretty bad chills. Needless to say how difficult was to ride the bike like this, nevermind the little stinger climbs... 

I ended up feeling so bad I decided to stop and call for a lift. At this point I've done almost 80 km and I was close enough to home but I couldn't carry on any further. I got off the bike, walked a few meters and then just stopped. I called for my Dad and asked if he could give me a lift home ...





This whole thing was a massive slap in my face as I never aborted a spin before. Never. I had countless very hard moments on the bike before but I never reached the point what I reached today. 

It turned out I managed to get a heat stroke thanks to the proper Hungarian summer. Yeah, it's nice to ride a bike on a hot and dry summer afternoon but I have to admit that I'm not used to this temperature anymore. I have been away for almost 10 years and it seems like this time was enough to make me soft...but at least I can ride well in bad weather. Thank you Ireland, haha! :)  


Now, it's time to get some rest and get the system back to normal.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment