Saturday, March 10, 2012

Eggbeater 1 pedals // Works great, so I stick to it!


The main reason why I haven't been on the XC bike for a little while was the fact I needed to change the pedals on it.  Of course for me there's no other choice than the Eggbeaters from CrankBrothers. I've used different models from their range over the last 7-8 years and they are really good pedals, so I stick to them ' cause I know what to expect. :)

The old ones got some very serious abuse over the last 2 years and they just got to the point where they had enough...Pedal body got loose on the axle, stiff bearings, cracked bushings, seized up dust caps, etc... It's a quiet long list and there was no point ot get the re-build kit anymore, just decided to get a new set of pedals.

This time I got the Eggbeater 1 model which is the entry level from their range. It comes with a stamped steel body with stamped wings and cartridge outer bearings

Cool new design: silver body with black spring

The main feature is the unique design: there is a 4-way dock-in system that allows the cleats to connect faster and the minimalist body design let the mud "fall" through the cage very-very easly. I honestly say there is very little chance to clog these pedals up!

They can be fitted only with allen key, there's no regular pedal spanner connection on the axle to save some weight and also to create a nice & clean design. Another smart thing is the release angle of the cleats: this can be 15° or 20° as well, it depends on personal preferences. The whole idea behind this design is the left and right hand side cleats are slightly different so if you fit them on the other way around it will have an effect on the release angle. Cool! :)

Here is the weight of the two pedals...


...and with the bolts & cleats as well as a complete system.

Now, since they are the entry level models of course the weight isn't the best but considering the price of them and the huge benefit that I find extremely useful over other pedals I think this is something I can easly sacrifice indeed. I think these bad boys are fantastic and they have a huge benefit in muddy conditions. And that in fact can be found in Ireland quiet often! :) 

There's nothing else left but put them on and hit the trails as soon as possible to get some sweet off-road spin done! Bring it on!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment