Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Single speed conversion for the SSWC 2011

The next race I need to get ready for is the SSWC 2011 so it requires special preparation not only for me but for the bike also. I have 3 weeks until the race so I hopped into the ThinkBike workshop and converted my race machine into a single speed beast. :)


In the last couple of weeks I was reading a lot on single speed specific forums and did good bit of research to find out which set up would be the best to start with. I am familiar with single speed bikes, I use fixed wheel bikes for 4 years to get around town but of course the off-road type will be different indeed. 

Here is my single speed conversion step-by-step:

1., Got the new dropout fitted to be able to put the chain tensioner on

2., Removed all the parts that I don't need (shifters, front and rear mech, casette, outer chain ring, chain ring bolts, inner and outer cables)


3., Took a 14T chainring out of a casette and fitted on the freehub body with loose casette spacers. (note: need to pay attention for the most optimal chainline and the right amount of spacers to make sure they will be nice and tight when the casette lockring is tightened)

4., Fitted the single speed specific chain tensioner


5., Kept the 28T chainring on the front and put the chainset back on


6., Put the chain on the bike and checked the lenght of it.

7., Removed the unnecessery links and adjusted the tension of the chain.


8., Adjusted the jockey wheel on the chain tensioner to ensure the chainline is perfect. 

9., The bike is ready to go!!! :)



The bike does look pretty different but I like two things strainght away: the overall weight of the bike dropped with a huge amount. It is 8.8kg at the moment so it will be quick especially when it needs to have acceleration. 

I also like the nice and tidy looking cockpit on the front. :)



This conversion based on the common 2:1 gear ratio for off-road single speed bikes. I have 28T chainring on the front and 14T chainring on the back. This gear ratio should be ok to get through most of the climbs and technical sectors in Ballyhoura

Of course it migh not be that simple as I think now but the only way to find out about this is to give it a go up in the mountains. I will test it out tomorrow morning and see how it goes. Can't wait! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment