Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wicklow Way - special goal for 2011


I like to have goals for myself. It keeps me moving and it is great to look back and say: "...It's done!..." This time it is a big goal for me: I would like to ride the whole Wicklow Way in one day. Kind of like a long XC marathon, start in the early morning and ride all day long with minimal stopping along the way.

Now, it has been done many times and as far as I know the current record is under Ryan Sherlock's name with 8 hours and 9 minutes which is amazing time for sure. My attempt is not a record attempt or anything, it is target that I have set for myself. If I am able to do it I will be very happy. 

It is a very long bike ride, I never done anything like this before. I have raced many marathon races before back in Hungary and here in Ireland but the longest one was "only" 65km long. After a quick calculation: it is still only the half way... So it will open up new dimensions for me: longest off-road bike ride and probably the longest time spent on the bike in one day. Let's rise for the challenge!

The Wickow Way is long-distance walking trail that begins in Marlay Park (Dublin) and  goes accross the Wicklow mountains to finish in Clonegal. The lenght of the trail is 130km with 3900m climb, so it is pretty epic on the bike I think. 

Wicklow Way map
 for more information click here. 

So, if I would like to get the goal done, it is time to start the preparation. My plan is to get the stages of the trail done step-by-step. Now, if I will follow this idea the second half of the distance will cause some problems, I think (ride and then get back home - or as an alternative get some accomodation). We will see how it goes. I'd like be a bit more famailiar with the trails and pick a nice day in the summer for the big bike ride. The date still needs to be decided.

As a part of my preparation I will ride the first section of the trail and see how it goes. I am sure I will see lot of familiar places on my way. Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking of doing the same challenge. I might have a friend with me who is not as strong a cyclist so i might make it a 2 day adventure. How did your adventure turn out in the end? Any advice would be very much appreciated?
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian,

    Sounds great that you are planning the came challenge. I have had a go at it a while back, but at that time things didn't work our well. I got as far as Tinahely but didn't go any further.

    http://andrasgercsenyi.blogspot.ie/2011/09/wicklow-way-my-first-attempt-has-failed.html

    I will give it another go for sure this spring, haven't given up on the challenge. I'd say the biggest thing is the elevation. You will have to face a LOT of climbing along the way. Make sure you pick a nice summer day for it when the evenings are bright and also the weather is good and dry. Also important to set a manageable pace and stick to it. If you guys are going too fast too soon you'll have to pay the price for it later.

    To me the problem was the mental aspect of the challenge. The signposting isn't great in the second half of the WW and because of that I got lost twice. It was very frustrating to make my way back to the trail and to be honest I just got pissed off with it a bit. The evening was to close up on me and I could not risk to get caught out there in the dark. So, I just gave up back than...

    But that won't be the case the next time, I know what to expect now!! Best of luck to you, I'm sure it'll be a life time challenge!!

    ReplyDelete