Thursday, February 10, 2011

Time to do interval training

In November, December and January I was training on the bike and also been running and did weight training as a part of my winter preparation for the racing season. But it is February now and it's time to focus 100% on the bike and start to do interval training to build up the strenght and climbing ability for the upcoming months.


This morning I picked one of my favorite tarmac climb that suits perfect for the planned interval training. This climb is the Ticknock climb. The start point was the bottom of the road (M50 bridge) and the finish was the top of the mountain where the road ends. I like this road because it's quiet enough with very little traffic. 

I have decided to do this climb 3 times in a row without any stop. And my secondary goal was to get the whole training done on the big ring (42T) on the front. I have changed to double chainring set up on the front not too long time ago and it still takes a bit of time to get use to the different gear ratios. 

Distance: 3.50 km 
Elevation: 350m
Total training: 10.5 km climb with 1050m ascent 
The profile of the 3.5 km climb from the M50 bridge up to the top.

So I have done the climb 3 times as it was planned and I could stay on the big ring for the whole time. I have spent 1 hour and 50 minutes on the bike this morning (including warm up, interval training and the way back home) and I have covered the distance of 35km.

I really enjoyed the spin and I can't wait for the spring with good weather and many-many XC racing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment