Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Map My Tracks - OutFront

I would like to introduce a very useful application for iPhones, it's called Map My Tracks - OutFront. I use the app for a couple of weeks now to track all the running trainings and the spins on the bike. I don't own any of the advanced navigation systems such as Garmin but I still prefer to know many additional information.

The app uses the phone's GPS service to locate the position and to calculate all the information in relation of the activity. It works with simple "Start - Stop" function and everything is recorded in between. It is quick to find your location and once it's done you can start the training. 

There is a long list of activities to choose from to be able to keep record in the future. I allways use the running - cycling - mountain biking modes but there is plenty more for everybody.

Recorded data:

- distance             - elevation start/finish
- duration              - total ascent/decent
- avarage pace      - map 2D/3D
- avarage speed   
- top speed
- fastest pace
- elevation gain/loss 

Other functions: 

       - real time activity playback (on map)                 - share activity (via e-mail)

I think this app is very useful thing to have on the iPhone and I am surprised a bit how good it is. I've had doubt about it for the first time but it's gone since I started to use it. The only little issue is if you are out for a long spin it will use most of the battery power so the phone has to be fully charged before you go.  

There is a free and paid version from the application store. I use the free version and it's more than perfect for my needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment