Friday, September 15, 2017

Shimano Alfine (CT-S500) chain tensioner




I have been struggling with chain tensoiner problems recently. After a bit of a research I made up my mind and got a new chain tensioner for the single speed beast. I had my eyes on the Shimano Alfine CT-S500 mondel for a while. It looks savage and the spring tension is outstanding for sure. Ah, sure... it's not quite common part on single speed XC bikes but you know me well: I'm not too worried about things like this. :)  


The weight is just over the 200 gramm mark

It's a non-adjustable tensioner with fixed chain line. Runs two pulleys and got kitted out with a mega strong spring to keep the chain nice and tight. Juuuuust what I was after! 


The box contains 3 spacers with the total of 5 mm spacing thickness. They go in between the drop-out and the tensoiner itself. This way there's a slight adjustment to have the chain line bang on. They were handy indeed, I had to use them all to have everything running smooth. 


All set, good to go!

After the short work I had the bike ready to be tried. The tensoiner is on and it looks... well, it looks awesome in my opinion. The Alfine isn't a single speed specific part that's designed for XC machines but I'm sure it'll work well for me! Stay tuned for some first impressions post in the near future! 


No comments:

Post a Comment