Monday, September 18, 2017

Shimano Alfine chain tensioner on a single speed XC mountain bike // First impressions




I've done a few spins since I got the Shimano Alfine chain tensioner fitted. Done about 90 km and 4,5 hours so I guess it's about time to see my first thoughts


Lets have a look at the details here:

  • The firts thing that pops in my mind is that the system is super smooth & quiet. Once the chain line is bang on the chain runs real nice. Of course this is how it should be anyway but still, it's lovely!  
  • The body of the tensioner is very stiff, there is no flexibility whatsoever.
  • The tension of the spring is at another level folks, it keeps the chain über tight!
  • Oh, it looks savage! Did I mentioned that? Sure I did!! :) 


I have picked some rough local trails to see how the Alfine performs off-road. The test went well, can't mention a single problem so far. Of course the brutal winter spins are still ahead with all the mud, sleet and snow. But I have a great feeling about this tensoiner and I'm sure it was a good decision to fit the Alfine for single speed mountain biking! 


No comments:

Post a Comment