Friday, September 20, 2013

2014 Giant Anthem 27,5 2 // First thoughts



Since I got this new 2014 Giant Anthem 27,5 2 I took it out two times and got about 5 hours riding time on the bike. I tried it on loads of different terrains & trails around the Dublin Mountains (Threerock, Leadmines, WW) and I think it's time to write about my first impressions! 


The first test spin was't exactly rider friendly (I mean the weather) but it didn't matter! :)

On the Metro 2 Trail

But let's see how the bike works for me and what are the thoughts after the first two test spins! 

  • The first thing that I was very suprised about was the fact that the bike just feels simply perfect! What I mean is it's super comfy and handles very well. Feels great straight away!
  • The 27,5" wheels are much faster than the 26" ones, they do roll better and the bike feels so much faster. Faster on the road, on the fire roads and on smooth trails as well. 
  • It's amazing how easily it rolls over things! Rock, roots and technical stuff are much easier on this bike than on my old 26" mountain bike.  

Sweet technical climb along the way: climbing up on the Boneshaker...

...and some nice & rocky section of the WW.




  • The agility of the bike is simply brilliant: it feels like a normal 26" bike and the handling is superb. I didn't have that "Jaysus, it's a big bike alright..." feeling, like I had on the 29ers that I tried before! :)
  • The traction is very-very good! The bike feels lot more steady in the bends and on the climbs also. 
  • The wheelbase is not too long, so it was very easy to get around even on some tight techical trails.   
  • The frame and fork features (OverDrive 2 steerer, 15mm bolt through front axle) really give an amazing steering precision.

So, my first impressions are very positive indeed! To be honest I'm lot more surprised than I thought I was gonna be. I had few Giant bikes before and I know they are excellent machines. So, no surprise there. But I wasn't very convinced about how needed the 27,5" wheelsize really is. Up until now! 

Everything I've heard about them is just simply true: they are best of both (26" and 29ers). They are playable, stiff and light just like the old 26" mountain bikes and they are faster and better off-road just like the 29ers. And one more thing: the 27,5 bikes are more suitable for smaller riders such as myself! ;)

So, I love this new machine and can't wait to get out on the trails again, and again, and again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment