Sunday, October 13, 2013

26 VS 27.5 VS 29 // Does the 27.5 really work?!


I was talking to so many riders in the last few weeks about the whole new 27.5 aka 650b wheelsize saga. I heard many opinions that supported the idea and many that was against it altogether. Now, I feel I'm in a pretty lucky situation 'cause I am using the new 650b Giant Anthem since the middle of last month, so I had plenty of chance to see what's all the fuss about! 


In this post I will be writing about all the stuff that I experienced in the saddle of this amazing bike (with  the benefits that are related to the wheelsize in focus). I have been using 26" bikes since I started mountain biking. I never actually owned any 29ers, but managed to test a few out on lots of different terrains. And now I'm on a 27.5 wheelsized bike and to answer the question above: yes, it does! It definitely works for me!!

The first thing that really surprised me was the fact this bike rides just like my old 26" bike. I didn't have the feeling that I got when I cycled 29ers before. It felt right and the control of the bike was just as good as I was used to from before. The agility is there, it is a very playable bike. 

The speed is definitely there too, it feels so much faster than the 26" one (it's nice 'cause I prefer to cycle out to the trails and cycle home after I'm done with my mountain biking). 

But the most important thing is how the bike rides on trails! It rides much better than any 26" bike I think: rolls over everything better, I'm absolutely lovin' the additional traction both uphill & downhill. And the best part is that you have all the benefit that comes from the bigger wheels while you feel like you're riding your 'aul 26" machine! It's super crisp on the handling, the front is easy to lift over stuff (not like the 29ers), it's light & stiff! What not to like?! :)

In my opinion everyone should be riding whatever works the best for their needs! For me the 27.5 is the way to go, no doubt about that! It's the ultimante "best-of-both" option I think. So, roll on big wheels!! ... (but not too big of course...)     :)

No comments:

Post a Comment