Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Niner Carbon Fork // First thoughts




I'm riding on this rigid carbon fork from Niner for almost a month at this point. I've done just a bit over 350 km on it, so I figured why not write a few words about it?!

Going off-road and hit the trails on a rigid fork was a completely new experience to me. I was very curious and I also had about 1% doubt. Sure, I didn't worry about the durability or strength of the fork as the carbon fibre technology is very advanced these days. I was thinking more about the technique and riding style that's requested to handle something like this.  

Alright, let's see what my thoughts are at this point:

  • the font end of the bike feels very light thanks to the total weiht of 565 g that's stated by Niner
  • the handling feels very precise
  • the whole thing feels super stiff
  • thanks to it's unique design it takes advantage of the damping characteristics of the carbon fibre and this make the fork feel very comfortable indeed 
  • on rough trails it takes a little getting used to it as there's no forgiveness if you hit a big rock with a high speed

All in all I like this fork. First thoughts are absolutely positive: it's light, it's stiff, it's comfortable and it look super sexy! What's not to like?! I also like the way it changes my riding style a bit as well, it seems like I pick my lines a lot more carefully 'cause I know if I make a mistake I'll pay the price. 

Oh, and one more thing: riding a mountain bike with rigid fork is badass! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment