Saturday, September 17, 2011

Crossing the mountains in heavy storm


Yesterday I went  out for a 2 hours and 30 minutes spin and got one of the worst storm for a long time. But let's go from the start: I wanted to have a proper spin and the plan was to visit some of the places that I like and have a lovely, long spin for the day.

The first destination on my list was Leadmines. I got there pretty quickly and started to cycle on the Epic Club Course and some of the local trails there. The trails very super sweet and dry, I loved the whole thing!  It was excellent but at that time the colour of the sky started to look pretty weird all right...and not too long after the sky opened up!

Leadmines: still dry

So the rain has arrived and started to get very heavy in no time. Put the rain jacket and kept going towards my next destination on the list. But by the time I got to Enniskerry the weather turned into something else! Even the lights on the street turned on, there was so dark at 10 am in the morning! At that time I was completely soaked and started to feel cold as well, so I changed the plan and started to head towards the Johnnie Fox's Pub.

The route of the day

By the time I got the pub the storm has reached it's peak and started to calm down a little and it has stopped by the time when I got to the Wickow Way. I started to climb on the trail up towards the top while I was fighting with the river that was coming down the side of the mountain. It was brilliant! :)

From the Wicklow Way I crossed the mountain and got to Threerock. I did ride some of my favourite trails before I headed home, of course I never would miss them! :) 

The storm was quiet strong but was still manageable while I was on the bike. But when I got home the cold started to get me and I started to feel: it is not really summer anymore. We can hope for couple of nice days still but the autumn is on the way indeed!

I have covered 44 km of distance and climbed 1020 m during the 2 hours and 30 minutes long spin. The plan was cut shorter a bit then it was planned 'cause of the weather but I still ended up with a lovely spin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment