Monday, September 12, 2011

Back to SRAM - PG990 casette & PC991 HollowPin chain


The previous chain and casette has a quiet serious mileage so it was just simply time to get some nice, new gear for the XC bike. I have been using Shimano XT 11-32 casette with Shimano chain but this time I decided to get back to my old favourite: the competitor Sram. I just got my hands on the new casette which is Sram PG-990 (11-34) and the new chain that is the Sram PC-991 HollowPin model.

One of the main reason why I got Sram instead of Shimano is the design of the casette. The Sram works with a 5 star aliminium body while the Shimao has the 4 star design. I have used Sram casettes for about 5 years since I am racing and I always though the performance is better while the rear mech shifts the gears on the back. It seems more crispy and faster I think. This could be the actual stiffness of the casette, there is less flex indeed.

Sram PG-990 11-34 casette on the scale (lock-ring included)

The other reason was the pretty competitive weight of course. The 11-34 9spd casette is 303g with the lock-ring which is certently a good weight in this price category. I run the bike with double chainset on the front so I decided to give it a go with the 11-34T on the back to be able to achieve different gear ratio. 



Of course the shifting performance is always the best when the casette is being used with the recommended chain. My choice of chain is the PC-991 HollowPin chain which is going to be absolutely perfect. The hollow pins are stronger and more durable then the normal pins. I've used this chain before and I can tell: it is strong and will last long for sure!



The full lenght PC-991 HollowPin chain on the scale. The weight if gonna be even better once I'll remove the un-necessary links

So, the new stuff is here! All I need to do now just to put them on the bike and finally the setup wil be back to normal after I have used the bike with my single speed conversion for more than 5 weeks. Can't wait! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment