Saturday, August 4, 2012

Savage Saturday MTB Spin


Wow, this morning's MTB spin was absolutely brilliant! I was very happy to be able to get out on the bike mainly because I've been fighting with some technical issues on the XC bike in the last few days. The rear XTR shifter decided to give up on me just 2 days ago and since we couldn't get it back to life I was there: sad & bikeless. Thankfully I got an old LX shifter as loan (big thanks to my colleague & friend Marcin) and after a super fast emergency repair the bike was ready to roll again! Happy days! :)

Since I have only 2 more weeks to go before I race again I've decided to have a spin that contains good off-road bits and also have a bit of road as well just to get some useful miles in. 

I left nice and early, I was on my way at 7:30 am, right after a huge rain storm just hit Milltown. Massive puddles everywhere and the rain came and gone about hundred times as I was making my way up to my first destination of the day, the good old Threerock. After the climb I took the fire road and hopped on the old time favourite Wicklow Way. The weather was absolutely something else! The clouds were sitting right on the mountain and everything was super wet! 

The Wicklow Way was absolutely amazing, real remote location with weather like this!

After all the fun riding on the Wicklow Way I hit the tarmac road and started to head towards Enniskerry village. Passed through the village in no time and turned towards my second destination of the day: the legendery Epic Club Course. At this point I had to take my rain jacket on and off so many times I can't even remember!

Tarmac climb, cross the gate, little more climb and there I was. Hit the club course nice and quick and with no expectations whatsoever about havin' a lap time that is worth to mention...but still! I gave it a good lash! I loved the way it was extremely wet and muddy!!


Wet,wet,wet! The Epic Club Course was simply...epic! :)
   
After all this I got back on the road and started to head back home but before I finished my spin I got up to Threerock once again to get a little more off-road action. Funny enough to see the place empty in the morning and packed about 2 hours later! Quick climb and quick descent afterwards, pure fun! :)

By the time I got home the Garmin had the following data recorded for me: 50 km long spin under 3 hours and 7 minutes with the total elevation gain of 1222m along the way. Happy with that! Today's spin got me re-charged until I get out and ride my bike again, it was an absolutely loveable spin around some of the finest places around my home!


No comments:

Post a Comment