Saturday, July 28, 2012

Winter was back for a halfen hour


What a savage spin it was! Tough going indeed but sweet XC spin that's for sure. The funny thing is that the Irish summer still can surprise me after 7 years, but I guess I'm not the only one out there! :)

My friend Csaba and me left for our 2 hours and 30 minutes spin this morning nice and early and it did look like we are going to have a cracking day for it. We soon learned it wasn't the case... 

Our destination was Threerock this time with Fairy Castle and some WW along the way. After we got up to top of the hill the weather started to turn into something else and it all happened within about 5 minutes. By the time we reached the Fairy Castle it got pretty savage with wind, low temperature and super damp conditions. We didn't spend too much time there hanging around. At the top it felt like we are out on a winter spin. I got to realize very quickly I did not have all the right clothing for this jazz. Wasted no time, started to strom back towards the warmer and more wind sheltered part of the mountain to warm up again.  But on the way something happened that I never thought it was going to happen in July: my hands and fingers got numb and super cold. It is a familiar feeling in January but not in July...


  

After we got out of this wintery patch I started to feel much better and got the impression back it is a summer day we havin' today. Hands got back to normal and I started to get warmed up again. After this we could pay more attention for riding our bikes instead of the weather. The trails were fun to ride and the form is coming back slowly I'd say. Felt good on the climbs and confident on the downhills. Good spin it was, I loved it indeed!

Today's lesson: true as they say.  

There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing...


No comments:

Post a Comment