Saturday, July 21, 2012

Testing the XC National's course // Savage 1st spin


So, there I was: all geared up and ready to start my first spin after havin' a bit more than 6 weeks break from cycling. The morning was nice and bright and the excitement was over the roof about getting back on the bike! :)

The plan was the next: get out to Djouce on the road, test out the upcoming Irish National XC Championship race course to see what I am actually missing this year and ride back home on the road. I wasted no time, rolled out of the carpark just about 7:30 am.

The route was the usual:

Milltown - Dundrum - Stepaside - Enniskerry - Djouce - XC course - Djouce - Enniskerry - Stepaside - Dundrum - Milltown

To be honest I had some concerns in relation of my fitness but I felt absolutely great and managed to get out to Djouce with pretty good time considering I was on the XC bike. Once I got to the carpark I hopped on the singletrack and started to enjoy my time on the trails. 

Nice view!



Now, since I got the a little bit too early the race course wasn't fully marked yet so I have to say that I must have skipped few sectors unfortunatelly but I have covered most of it anyway. And there is only one thing I can tell: I'm surely missing a savage XC race that would be amazing to ride tomorrow!!! Great course design by Robin Seymour with lots of real sweet technical bits! Amazing! :)

After I finished my off-road spin it was time to head back home but before I left I met with few friends from ThinkBike.ie CC and Epic MTB as well. It was great to chat to the lads and wish them all the best for tomorrow's race. 

The way back home is always faster on this particular route so I got home nice & quick just before lunch. I was very happy to be on the bike and absolutely satisfied with the way I felt today. I have covered the distance of 50 km just under 2 hours and 30 minutes with the total elevation gain of 800 m along the way. 

I really enjoyed myself and loved the way I was out on the bike. Felt great to push myself and let the adrenalin kick in on the technical & slippery trails! Riding my bike again is just simply fantastic but what's even more great is to know that my son Rhys is waiting for me when I get back home! :) 

Happy time with Rhys after the spin :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment