Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Custom chain guide for CX single ring setup


The CX bike is ready for the upcoming season, but there was still one thing that needed to be sorted. I've decided to run a single ring setup on the front but that requires some sort of chain guide that makes sure the chain wont come off. Yes, there are specific chain guides out there but I wanted to work out something different and a bit more unique (not to mention a bit more wallet friendly) solution.

So here is my project that I just finished yesterday: I managed to salvage an old XTR front mech that was broken on the bottom part of the cage. In that condition the mech was pretty much useless but for what I need it for it was just perfect!

Perfect in many ways: suitable clamp size, fully abjustable position, deep enough profile of the inner plate, light and very durable.


But let's see the details of the DIY project:

1., Cleaned the old and damaged XTR front mech

2., Checked out where to cut off the bottom part of the cage

3., Cut off the cage (with angle grinder)

4., Filed off the rough edges and also rounded off the outer plate

5., Cleaned the body again to ensure there are no metal traces
 

Ready with all the work

And here is the "prototype" :)

Once I was ready all I needed to do is get the new "guide" fitted on the bike and make sure everything is adjusted properly. The whole job took me about 20 minutes all in, so it's straight forward! Happy days! :)

Ready for test run No.1

This idea is not far from just using a regular front mech to keep the chain on but in the end of the day I think this solution would be better for me. Mainly because the MTB front mech has different profile (plate comes deeper on the inside) and because it's all cut to pieces it is more minimalist and definitely lighter option.

At this point all I have to do is test it out in every possible conditions to see how does it work. It may not going to work the way I hope it's gonna be but I have to say I'm very optimistic about this project! So bring on the test runs!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment