Friday, November 2, 2012

Yep, winter is here I think...

For me there's always a day on the bike that really means the beginning of the winter time. The day when I getting my fingers numb, my toes freezing and just generally feel cold. This day has hit me today...yep, it's winter, there's no turning back!

Yep, that's exactly what it looks like: frozen puddles on the side of the road this morning

This morning I went out for a real nice & civilized road spin with my good friend Csaba, and since we haven't been out on the bike together for a very long time we decided to head up to the Wicklow Mountains, so we can have a good chat on the quiet traffic-free roads. The morning was cold enough but nothing serious here in the city. But things changed when we got to the open Military Road after the Viewing Point. The road was icy and frosty at many places and most of the puddles were still frozen on the side of the road. Savage it was, especially with the strong wind that definitelly didn't ease the pain! :)


Fantastic view!!

Luckily I was on the cyclo-cross bike so the traction was more than perfect. But still the road was quiet dodgy at some places. It all got better after we started our descent back to Enniskerry through the Glencullen Valley. Got a bit warmer as well, so my useless toes and fingers finally started to melt. Happy days! :)


The route of the first spin of this winter

This bike ride was just perfect: got some slow paced and useful winter miles in on the road, got some quality conversation going with my very good friend and just simply had great time on the bike. We have done 43 km distance just a bit under the 2 hours and 20 minutes mark. 

This was my last spin for a little while because I'm heading to Hungary with my wife Anett and my son Rhys to visit our family back home. But after the holiday I still have a couple of the remaining cyclo-cross races planned, so there's plenty to do as a preparation! Bring it on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment