Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chinese medicine - acupuncture and massage

The off-bike treatment (such as nutrition, massage) is very important all year long but even more during the racing season. Of course I try to pay attention for these things as much as I can. I am happy to try new things if they help my recovery or just make me feel better on the bike. 

This is why I've visited my good friend Dani yesterday. He is learning traditional chinese medicine that is based on massage, acupuncture and herbs. I have to admit it: I know very little about these things so for me it's very helpful to get advice based on his knowledge. 

Our first session started with a quiet long conversation to get a proper view of my medical history, injuries, life style, nutrition and all these things. After this he did focus on the recovery of my leg injury. I did get massaged many times but I never tried acupuncture treatment before. Instead of a massage he found couple of important acupuncture points in my leg and started to stimulate them. He is still learning the technique so he did not use any needels yet but pressed the point with fingers.

I will visit him once a week in the future to get massaged and acupuncture treatment. I am pretty sure it will be very useful for me. After couple of sessions I can tell more about my personal experience. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment