Monday, June 27, 2011

Single Speed World Champs 2011 - Entered yesterday


In this year I have couple of goals that I want to accomplish. Races that I never done before, even if they are more unusual for me. Some of them are already done but others yet to come. Here is the next one of them on my list: the Single Speed World Championship (SSWC).

This event is very unique indeed. Luckily this year Ireland will be hosting the event that is famous world wide so it will be very easy to travel to the race. The location is the country`s biggest and longest purpose built MTB trail centre, Ballyhoura. (for more info on the trail centre click here ). The event will be on the 27th of August (full details are here ).

After couple of weeks planning I signed up for this years race to compete and see how can I manage an XC race on a single speed mountain bike. I will be certainly very limited but not totally strange for me: I am big fan of the single speed set up! :) I use fixed gear bike for getting around town for many years now and I do love it. So it is time to try the same idea on mucky trails and see how it goes! :)

I have couple of XC races before the SSWC but after those races I will get my race bike coverted to single speed. Once it is done I will try to get use to it up in the mountains. At this point I still haven`t decided what gear ratio I will give it a go with, but possibly 2:1 (32T - 16T) will be the optimal set up. But I will get into the technical details some other time! :)

This event is something I really looking forward to, can`t wait to start the preparation and get to the start line in August. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment