Sunday, December 9, 2012

Crossmarnock '12 - race report



Yes! Another cyclo-cross race is done & dusted! At the end of the cross season there was a race that I've been looking forward to: the one in Portmarnock with the stylish name. Crossmarnock is the one allright!

Got all the gear sorted and after my lovely breakfast I was on the way on the coast road to the race venue. I was kind of hoping for some savage wintery morning with frost and ice everywhere, but when I was driving along the coast on this nice and mild morning I sad to myself: " Hey, there's nothing to complain about, this is gonna be just fine! "  

After a super smooth registration and a quick practice lap we were on the start line before we knew it. The start was a bit of a mayhem but luckily I managed to shoot out and got to the narrow straight bit with the front of the bunch.  


Typical sight from today's race (photo by Greg May)

I was racing in the 'B race' and our portion of racing today was 8 laps on the 2.3 km long race course. The course was a great mixture of tarmac and grass sectors with one set of double barriers. The place was 100% open without any sort of shelter from the wind so by the time of the end of that race the wind took a fair bit of energy out of me. Also was a bit muddy that provided some real fun in the bends! :) 


In 105% during the first lap... (photo by Colm Gallagher)

Just a painful moment... (photo by Colm Gallagher)

In action close to the end (photo by Colm Gallagher)

After a brutal first lap I managed to settle down a bit and be more "comfortable" in the race. Got warmed up and got the laps done one after another and shortly after an hour racing time I've crossed the finish line in the 15th place (out of 40 riders) and completed my last cross race of the year.


The result of the good old cross conditions :)

Quick last photo on the coast before I left

After the race and the journey through the hectic Sunday traffic and got home just in time for my favourite lunch. Yummy! :)


Great way to celebrate the end of the season :)

About today's race I have many words and thoughts in my head but I just write a few of them: savage, fast, difficult, fun! Just as a good race should be! Do I want to be there again? Hell yeah! I hope this race will be in the calendar next year 'cause I definitely won't miss it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment