Friday, June 30, 2017

Ride for Richie // Special delivery from Ireland




This morning our postman delivered an envelope. An envelope that arrived straight from Dublin, Ireland. An envelope that I was waiting to arrive as it contained two stickers. Not just ordinary stickers though, they are Ride For Richie stickers! They are truly special and will be on my bike as a tribute to the well known and missed Irish mountain biker Richie Byrne who passed away last year...


I first met Richie Byrne when I arrived to Ireland back in 2005. He was the one who welcomed me and took me to see the good 'aul Irish trails. Showed me around where to go if I want to ride my mountain bike.  
Over the years there have been tons of great memories: brilliant club races around the Leadmines, savage XC NPS racing action and brutal good back and forth games at Da Cooley Thriller Marathon. Endless slagging and verbal abuse that created such a brilliant atmosphere everywhere we bumped into each other.
Richie was a great guy, a fantastic (and easily the most enthusiastic) mountain biker I ever met. A true inspiration to all of us! 


Richie unfortunately passed away...but his legacy will leave on! It's only a small sticker on the bike, but every time I look at it it'll remind me how much I've learned from this awesome man!     


The best spot on the frame without a doubt! :) 


Ride For Richie and the Irish flag... what a nice tribute to the Legend himself! 


I'd like to say a huge thank you to Ronan O'Shea from Team Giant Dublin for sorting me out with the stickers. They mean a lot to me man, thanks a lot!! 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment