Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Repairing Tune Kong rear hub // No more creaking noise


So, here is the story that was driving me crazy in the last couple of weeks. There was this horrible creaking noise coming out of my mountain bike so I wasted no time to find out the source of that. After a very precise "investigation" it turned out it was coming from the freehub body. Strange enough though 'cause it really seemed like it's coming from the middle of the bike...

The project was to take the freehub body off and re-grease the internal parts after we cleaned everything properly. 


Removing the axle from the hub

The hub without the freehub body

And there it is: the super light alloy freehub body itself

Now, it seems like an easy job (mostly it is pretty easy indeed) but since I never done repair like this and I was also worried about ruining the sensitive and light parts of the Tune Kong hub, so I asked for help from the guys in the workshop. Better to be safe than sorry, as they say! :)

Thanks to ThinkBike's great mechanic Tomek, who got the issue sorted for me quickly. The wheel is back to normal and I can ride the XC bike again this weekend! The freehub body runs like a dream and there isn't the annoying creaking noise anymore, which is definitely the best part I think! Happy days! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment