Saturday, May 26, 2012

Forced to turn back // Torn off rear mech...


So, there I was, having fun up on Threerock just as I normally do. Toasty hot day, dusty dry trails, listening to my favourite song through my earphones and riding the sweetest trails on the back of the mountain. It was too good to be true I guess 'cause all I heard was this horrible sound. The kind that I heard before and I don't really want to hear too often. The rear mech hanger got torn off...

I knew it straight away I have a pretty long walk before I get back home. There was nothing else to do but start pushing the bike back towards the top of the mountain. Luckily I found a rubber hair band on the fire road that I could use to secure the mech to the chainstay so at least it didn't bounce against the ground and the spokes anymore...When I got up to the top I met a fellow mountain biker, who helped me out with some cable ties to secure the mech properly, so I can freewheel home at least on the downhill part of the way. 

Hair band & cable ties can fix everything! :)

Once the DIY repair was done I was ready to roll (as much as I could do that) with the broken bike...Rolling downhill, walking on flat and uphill. Wasn't the type of fun I bargained for when I left my house. But hey! I was on my way back home and that was good enough for me! :)

The end of my freewheeling session, non-stop walk from this point

Once I got to Dundrum, there was no more downhill to enjoy so nothing else left to do but get off the bike and start walking. Luckily I don't live that far from there so it wasn't too bad. 

Nice little "adventure" for today. This little incident has ruined my spin and now I have to get a new hanger sorted for the bike as well. Ah well, it's a technical sport, things like this could happen. Although I hope the next time when this will happen to me is about 5 years from today! :)  

Note to self:

- always carry an extra rear mech hanger just in case
- never have funny thoughts about guys who ride with backpacks, one of them just saved me today! Fair play to him!  

No comments:

Post a Comment