Tuesday, February 26, 2013

1x9 // Single ring setup on the XC bike

Started with triple chainset, then used double for a while and now I dipping my toes into the world of single chainring cranksets on XC mountain bikes. I've been thinking about this for a little while but now is the time when I make the move and give this setup a shot.



The idea is very simple: having only one ring on the crankset and keep the rear gearing the same. This way the bike is more simple and not to mention that it is lighter also. So, if the size of the ring on the chainset and the size of the casette on the back is right, then there should be no problems, right? Right! :)

I've been using a 42-28 double setup with a 11-34 casette for about 2 years worked great. When I've heard about having a single ring only I thought that is maybe a bit extreme and also limited as well. But after doing a fair bit of a reading up and chatting with XC riders who has single ring setup I thought I'd give it a try.

The ingridients: 32T Shimano SLX chainring & seat tube mounted chainguide

The first step of the project was to get all the parts that I'd need. This list was obviously very short, just got a chainguide and my original Shimano SLX (32T - 104BCD - 4 bolts) chainring. 


 
All the parts that I took off.

The next step was to remove all the parts that I won't need anymore: front mech, front shifter, inner + outer cables, both chainrings and chainring bolts.

Little bit old, little bit beaten up but the still good SLX crank is ready for the transformation.

After I got everything removed and cleaned the next step was to fit the 32T chainring on the crank (to the middle ring's place). Then got the chainset back on the bike, so this part of the job was finished. 

The next step is ready: one ring on the crank & crank fitted back on the bike

Once I was ready with all this the last step was to get the chainguide fitted & adjusted and then the bike was pretty much ready to rock. The chainguide took a little while to work properly but it seems like I managed to get it just about right.

In the middle of the guide adjustment

Operation transformation is ready: 1x9 is all good to go!

Ready for the first test spin up in the hills

So, the 1x9 XC bike is ready to roll, can't wait to test it out and see how it is going to work for me. I already have a good route plan that will give this setup a proper run indeed! Can't wait!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment