Saturday, March 2, 2013

Refurbished Sram X.O carbon rear mech



When I've decided to switch back from Shimano to SRAM again the first task was to pick up all the necessary parts. Since I'm still on a 9 speed system the only option that I preferred was the 9 speed version of the legendery Sram X.O rear derailleur. Just after a short time on the Internet and after a couple of phone calls I managed to pick up this beauty here and to top that, it was the carbon cage version! Happy days! :)

It has it's time served indeed but there was nothing that a little T.L.C couldn't get sorted. However I had to face a pretty tough task during the process: the tensioner spring was broken. I've had a replacement one allright, but I have to say that it is a savage thing to get that little strong spring fitted back into the super tight body of a rear mech! I'll be honest here: I couldn't even get it done myself without the help of Tomek, the excellent mechanic from the ThinkBike workshop! Hats off Tomek, thanks a lot man!

And there it is, the broken spring

And that's about the size of the room that we could work with...

...whilst we tried to fit this extra-mega-super strong little spring.

But after after all the cleaning and messing about with the spring I ended up with a rear mech that is in a perfect shape. I'm sure it'll serve me for a long time unless an univited rock tears off the carbon cage...but I will do my best to avoid that to happen! :)

All cleaned up & ready for action

No comments:

Post a Comment