Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Epic MTB Kilmashogue Hillclimb // race report


Racing is great! Hillclimb racing is even better! So, needless to say how much fun I had this evening! But let's go from the start: this race was a club race run by Epic MTB and the destination was the "feared"  Kilmashogue Lane. When I seen the date and I realized I'm off work, there was no other option but sign up and race this evening.

The race went from the M50 bridge (the bottom of the Kilmashogue Lane) up on the tarmac road and then we turned off the road onto the fire road that leads all the way over to Threerock. The finish line was at the WW trail junction. This is a 3,4 km long climb with 280 m of total elevation gain and the steepest gradient is 18%. So, it is a long enough and heavy enough climb indeed. Simply perfect for a race like this. :)

The course

I cycled out of course and met few of the lads at the carpark at the bottom of Threerock. We have decided to climb up nearly as far as the Lower Carpark as a warm up and rolled down on the other side towards the Kilmashogue Lane. By the time we got there the place was absolutely packed. Big crowd of mountain bikers from many different clubs were ready to hit the climb. It was brilliant to see that many out!

Ready! Go! Off we went! We had a mass start that worked out pretty well for me. Riding in a group kept me motivated better and also helped me to pace myself. The main goal was not to go too hard too early 'cause normally that's where I make mistakes. I managed to keep that plan and it payed off later indeed. I got up on the tarmac section nice and quick and started to push a bit more on the fire road. I had a bit of a gap to work with and luckily I mamaged to keep it all the way to the top. 

I felt great on the bike and had a great race I have to say. Finished 7th (out of more than 50 riders) with 14 minutes and 10 seconds race time. I'm delighted with this result, happy, happy, happy! :) 

Rolling home after the race. Nice & easy :)

After the race I went for a short spin around Threerock and then cycled back home. Was brilliant to be out on the bike, was even better to be able to race on this lovely evening. Thanks a lot for organizing the race, I'm still buzzing after the torcherous climb!  

No comments:

Post a Comment