Monday, June 3, 2013

Col de Kippure // The big climb



This year's Wicklow 200 is only a week away, so I've been spending lot more time on the road bike cyclo-cross bike lately. I don't own a road bike at the moment, so I have the team Giant TCX converted into a road bike for the summer. Except the tyres the whole setup remained the same as I race the cross season on the bike and that means I'm running a single 38T ring on the front. 

It's fine, it's does the job for me. However I wanted to have a long(ish) road spin with some proper long climb on the way to see how I can deal with this setup up in the mountains. 

The best way to test things out was to pick the highest peak near Dublin and have a go! The route was the well known one to all the riders who are looking for a 25 km long climb: 

Milltown - Rathfarnham - Stocking Lane - Military Road - Kippure


From the Yellow House Pub in Rathfarnham it's pretty much all the way uphill to the top of Kippure (750 m). Lovely and long climb with some real special and remote final section. I don't know what it is about it but every time I'm on this climb I really feel like I'm in my own little bubble: very cloudy, poor visibility, steep enough road. Just me on the bike and the climb...simply brilliant!! 

Milltown - Kippure mast: 1 hour and 19 minutes // 25.21 km // 750 m altitude

So, yesterday's spin was the last one with climbs like this before Sunday. Felt great, bike setup works very well with the single ring. Was an absolutely excellent spin I have to say, it got me hyped up for the weekend. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment