Saturday, December 14, 2013

Got a proper fright today!


It doesn't happen too often, but every once in a while I get a good fright on the bike. The kinda moment, that makes me stop and makes me glad because everything has worked out well. One of those lucky moments! It could be a sketchy situation on the trails, weather related or simply the madness in the traffic.

Today I went up to Threerock to do my nice Saturday after lunch off-road spin. The weather was absolutely miserable with rain and mega-strong wind. The higher I got up on the side of the mountain the worst the wind got. I knew it is far from being a fun bike ride but I kept going higher anyway. Even just to keep the bike rubber side down was a serious task!

From the top I was heading towards the Schizeile Loop and as I was riding up the first part the wind pulled down a tall tree right in front of me. Luckily I still had a bit of a gap, so I stopped and waited until everything settled.  

Shortly after I decided not to go any further I had a short stop. Just as I hopped on the bike and left a mammut size tree came down again...the wind broke the thing like it was a freakin' chopstick... The whole thing sounded like a mini Earth quake, I stopped and watched the big tree falling to the very spot where I was standing about 10 seconds earlier. I was about 50 meters away when it all happened, so I'm happy I didn't hang around longer!

The second tree landed exactly where this photo was taken!

At this point I just thought the best is if I simply get a hell out of there! Quick descent back to the carpark and then back home. Wasn't happy I had to cut my spin shorter then it was planned but on the other hand I didn't want to push my luck and I was more than happy to arrive in one piece.

Today was absolutely wild out there and the lesson of the day is that never underestimate the power of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment