Saturday, April 9, 2011

Lough Derg Stage 1 & Stage 2 - race report


I am over the first day of the Lough Derg stage XC race in Killaloe. I've had a great race day, we had to complete 2 stages today. After we arrived to the race village I have collected my race pack that cointained my race number, timing chip, stage itiner decals and a lovely looking t-shirt. Once the final prep was done I was ready to go and start the race.

The content of my goodie bag
Stage 1 (Saturday)

The first stage was 23 km long and it has started at 10:30am sharp. I was able to start the stage from the first row so I was pretty happy about that. The start was a slow start until we got out of the town centre. The peloton was behind a Gardai car and two motorbikes and after about 2 km they gave us a signal and let us start racing seriously. The stage started with a quiet long but not too steep climb that has done some serious selection. I could get into my own climbing pace and from that point I was able to ride with my own speed. 
The stage was generally not difficult I think, only some of the steep downhill bits were tricky because of the loose rocks. Otherwise it was a mix of farm roads, fast fire roads, rocky singletracks

I finished the stage in the 5th position in the international field (racers from Belgium, Holland, Denmark, England, US, Poland, etc...) so I was very happy!

So after a quick meal I was resting with less preassure on me and got ready for the next stage of the race. 

Graph of the Stage 1
Photos:

The view from the start/finish area (bridge on the Shannon)
The bikes are ready for action
The lead out crew
Richie & me before the start

Relax after the first stage
Stage 2 (Saturday)

I was relaxed before the start of the second stage of the day at 14:30pm. I was standing in the 5th positin in GC and I did have enough impression about the competitors speed and ability from the previous stage. This stage started from the same location and with the same lead out. 
The afternoon stage was only 16,5 km long but it was savage! Straigt after the start the it was serious, basicly the first 10 km was nearly constans climb with some crazy gradient at some places. I was holding the 5th position again and than...I got a rear puncture. :( 
Of course I did replace the tube as fast as it was possible but it was on this fast donwhill stage so many-many riders passed me. After the forced stop and the quick repair I was on the way again and did everything I could to gain time before I get to the finish line. It did work more or less but in the end I did not have enough time to get back to front. 

I came 19th on the stage, so I was not too happy. But hey! This is part of the mountain biking also, and I have one more day with two more stages ahead of me!

Graph of the Stage 2

Photos:

Richie & me ready for Stage 2
Off we went
On the steep tarmac climb
I was a bit wrecked after the day...
Now, after a lovely meal and a good bath I am ready to get some proper rest and get ready for tomorrow. I feel good after today and I really looking forward to continue the race tomorrow.I am holding the 11th position in GC and I will do everything to get couple of places ahead by the end of tomorrow! :)

3 comments:

  1. I miss you but I hope you have a great weekend. The weather is wonderful so you very lucky guys!:) good luck tomorrow I know you will do your best and I will be so proud of you when you finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey great job sorry to hear about your puncture good luck today go go go.

    ReplyDelete