Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Refurbished XTR front shifter

I went over to my good friend and team mate Richie Felle's place yesterday to pick up the used XTR front shifter that he offered to me before. He has raced a season with this shifter on his race bike and he has no use for it anymore. All it needs just a bit of a work to get it back to 100% order.

When I collected the shifter it was already taken apart so it saved me a bit of a time in deed. So I just checked all the parts in the bag and the first thing I seen is: one of the screw is missing that hold the bottom cover plate in place. But everything else was there and they were in good condition.

After I have checked all the parts I realized all they need is just some cleaning and lube and they will be absolutely perfect for long time. The most "problematic" bit was the inside mechanism of the shifter, all the springs and inserts were quiet dirty, the previously picked up dust got built up inside.


Just a quick weight check on the scale and let's get the things started! :)

All the loose parts on the scale (1 screw is missing)

It took me about 20 minutes to clean the inside, the outside shell, adjuster bolt and spring, and all the hiden spots. After all this the shifter was ready to be put together. 

The refurbished Shimano XTR  SL-M970 front shifter ready to be fitted on the bike


It is ready for action and I can't wait to get it fitted on the bike, possibly I will have some time this week to do some work on the bike. Thank you Richie for this sweet bike part, I know it will serve me very well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment