Monday, December 12, 2011

Progressing through the UCD research programme



During the last 2 weeks I've been envolved in something more unusual beside my regular training routine. I started a Research Programme in the UCD Human Performance Laboratory, so I've been visiting the lab couple of times to get some testing done. It is something that I've been doing many times back in Hungary and I am simply interested to do, so this is the main reason why I sent my application as a valunteer.

The programme is designed to analyze the difference between 3 recovery types: passive, active and low-intensity neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) and see which one of them is the most effective. After the first session where my maximum level been tested the remaining 3 sessions are following a very strict, controlled protocol. 

Doing my warm up during today's session

The test itself is very short but very brutal and intense in the same time. After a short warm up I have to work on the 105% of my maximum effort that has been tested on the first session. The test goes to absolute exhaustion, until I can't turn the pedals any longer... Needless to say, it is super difficult task! 

Off the bike straight away and start the 30 minutes recovery routine (each session is different) and during this time blood samples to be taken in every 5 minutes to check the level of the lactic acid in the blood. The samples to be taken from the tip of my fingers 'cause of the blood capillary. 

During my recovery time with the electrical stimulation pads on my legs. Feels a bit weird but kind of good! :)

Once the 30 minutes recovery time is up it's time to get back on the bike and get ready for the last big effort: 95% of my maximum is the resistance that I have to deal with as long as I can. The rule is the same, the test goes to total exhaustion. Off the bike again and two more blood samples at the end. And that's it, I'm finished!

Each session is the exact same but the recovery type is different each time. The bike is perfectly set up and the computer controlled protocol strictly follows each step of the pogramme. Everything is timed and very precise. 

At the end we'll have the answer what researcher John Malone is looking for: which short term recovery type is the most effective between max. intensity sessions?

Participating in the research project is very exciting and cool. I'm glad to be able to part of it and honestly can't wait to see the results at the end! Only one more session to go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment