Saturday, January 14, 2012

100km road spin over the Sally Gap


This morning I turned to the mountains direction for the second time this week ( I went out for a 65 km spin before work on Tuesday morning also) 'cause I wanted to have some nice and long enough road spin. The night was pretty cold, it was -2°C in Milltown. Based on that I got all my proper winter gear ready this morning just to be on the safe side. It turned out to be a mild enough morning though with the lovely enough 4°C but later on I was glad to have the heavy gear on when I crossed the Sally Gap.

After the filling porrage breaky and my morning espresso that was as strong as a horse I was all good to go: Wicklow Mountains bring it on! :)

I went out on my usual route: Dundrum - Stepaside - Enniskerry - Lough Tay - Sally Gap. Since it was Saturday morning I have seen tons of cyclists along the way. 

Lough Tay on the way up to the Sally Gap

Once I passed the Lough Tay the weather started to turn into something else. Strong wind and very damp conditions luckily without rain though. Once I reached the Sally Gap I turned left at the junction and started the most difficult part of my spin as far as the weather concern...it was rough... I really started to feel the cold and the wind wasn't helping me either. My fingers and toes started to get into trouble, so it wasn't fun at that point. But when I got the long downhill done and I got to Laragh everything got back to normal.

The point where the WW crossing the road just before Laragh

So I got to the well known coffe shop in Laragh, got my bottle filled with fresh water and I was on my way again. The place was packed with roadies, but we all know it's usual. It's amazing! Every time I'm up there I meet at least one group of cyclists. Cool! :) 

Haha, the Chistmas Spirit is still present at the side of the road up in the mountains.

On the way home I hit the little more flat road through Annamoe and Roundwood back towards Enniskerry. I like this road 'cause most of the surface is great and I get back to Dublin quickly. After I got back to Enniskerry I countinued my way home on the same road that I picked in the morning. 

By the time I got home I was cold enough so the first thing I wanted was a lovely hot shower and of course something to eat. Luckily my wife Anett cooked some awsome Chinese meal for lunch which was life saver!

Real home made Chinese food: stir-fry noodles with veg and crispy chicken breast pieces, yummy! :)

Today I ended up with 100 km long spin accross the mountains that took me just a little bit longer than 4 hours. I did 1419 m of total elevation gain and burned 2650 calories along the way. 


The spin was great, I loved every bit of it except the cold and rough time on the very top. But hey, after all it's winter time! Isn't it?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment