Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Back in the day - looking back to some sweet memories

It is always good to look back to the nice memories especially when they seem far away. Cycling in general but mostly racing was very important part of my life and most likely it always will be. 

My old team back in Hungary: Dunaharaszti Giraffe KCSE

I was going through my old photos on my hard drive and I found some very cool, old shots in the archives. I though it would be nice to post  them 'cause they were taken many years ago back in Hungary. Everything was so different: the tracks, the bike and equipment, trails, different level of skills and experience. Everything except one thing: I wanted nothing else but race my bike. 


I have joined my old team in 2001 and raced for them until I left Hungary in 2005. I have spent nearly 5 fantastic years with them and learned a lot about bikes and cycling in general. We have travelled to races together during the summer and trained hard during the winter months. The team was full of bike-maniacs and commited racers, so it was the perfect environment for someone like me. I got sucked into the world of mountain biking. :)

"Where is the funny looking jersey design is coming from??!" - I've been asked many times here in Ireland. The owner of the team is a very tall guy and his nickname was Giraffe since he was in college. So when he registered the team he named it after his own nickname. This explains the funky looking team kit. :)

I was lucky to be part of the country most "professional" amateur cycling club: we had our own team bus with trailer for the bikes, own gym with free access, team coach & massage therapist and club sponsors who looked after all the expenses (travel, accomodation and race entries)

I really appreciate everything, without them I wouldn't have the chance to get addicted to this wonderful sport. 

These are some of the many-many old photos that I was talking about: 

At the start line (UCI ranked XC race)

Setting the pace right from the start

Finished a popular XC marathon race called Bükk Marathon

In Italy as part of the Hungarian National XC Team's support team (Olympic qualifiction event)

At the start of the race...

...that turned into a complete nightmare. One of the most difficult race in my life.

Getting ready ( I was already in a good mood)

Climbing some crazy trail

Lovely summer day for a MTB race

Some roller action during our Team Training Camp. (still can't believe the funky shorts and the slippers...)

Bit of a media exposure :)  (finished 3rd and they were asking about the course)

So yes, it is nice to look back a little bit in time and re-live some of these memories again. Good old times will never get faded indeed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment