Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cleaning disc brake calipers

Disc brakes are excellent, I find them absolutely brilliant. They are reliable and most of the time they don't need serious amount of maintenance. Of course to have them in a perfect order a little bit of a time needs to be sacrified and I need to clean them from time to time. 

My race bike is not really in use during my off-season break, so I had the perfect chance to do some work on it and make sure the brakes are back to normal after the the savage muddy spins. 

The rear caliper on my bike: the pistons are very dirty and sticky. They even caused the lever to be really rough
Time to fit new pads I guess :)
Sprayed some lube on the edge of the pistons







Then cleaned the inside properly with a kitchen towel
The caliper without the pads, pistons are lubed and pushed back all the way
Inserting the pads back to the caliper
Final check before the pin goes back to it's place

After this short repair both of the brakes are like new and they work really the way I expect them to work. This little repair was just to make sure the brakes are ok for the next couple of rides but the bike nees to get a full, general service before I get my winter training program going. But this will be ok for now, will test of out on Saturday on the ThinkBike.ie CC club spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment