Friday, March 11, 2011

Garmin Edge 605


Today I got a new device that covers all my training needs: the Garmin Edge 605 cycling specific GPS computer. I am generally very interested to see as many datas as I can get in relation of my training, racing and all my cycling in general. I've had a Cateye Strada Wireless computer for the speed and distance and did use an iPhone application for mapping the ride and get altitude and all that stuff. But the mayor issue was the battery life of the phone and the sometimes poor signal of the network. I did a lot of research on this and I think the best choice was the Edge 605 model from Garmin to cover all my needs and possibly even more. I've been thinking about the Garmin for a while, it was time to go ahead with it.

But let's get to the product now! Inside of the box you find the following items: Garmin Edge 605 unit, USB cable, UK/EU charger plugs, battery charger, 2x handlebar mount with cable ties, rubber sheet and owners manual with CD.
The full content of the box.

After a quick set up (like location, time, rider and bike information) and charging the battery the unit was all ready to go. To get the bracket fitted on the stem was super quick and easy. I also like the way there is no sensor attached on the fork or on the wheel.


After all this I've created my  account and registered the product on the Garmin website and also downloaded the free Garmin Training Centre software. The whole lot was quick and simple!


This model has a lot of very useful functions: beside the speed and distance it gives you laptimes, altitude and also gradient but they are only few functions been pointed out. 
 For full specification click here.

The unit can be connected to the PC and you can get a full analyzis of the ride with graphs, also shows the ride on map. With the 2Gb micro SD memory card (optional) you have the possibility to save the rides as well.

I'm quiet excited about start using this GPS computer on the bike. I will have the first proper test tomorrow, I think it's gonna be very cool!

2 comments:

  1. Hey dude have fun with your new toy... is that Hungarian I see you have it set to . ?

    ReplyDelete