Sunday, March 13, 2011

Watch out up in the mountains!

In this post I would like to tell you how surprised (in the bad meaning of the word) and disappointed I am. What I started to experience up in the mountains lately is unreal...
I have heard the issue between walkers and cyclists is an existing  problem. Of course generally if both of the sides are civilized nothing happens. We say hi and give way to each other. This should be normal, I think. But unfortunately this doesn't happen all the time...

Luckily I never had any direct argument or uncomfortable situation with any of the walkers up in the Wicklow mountains but I have run into little set ups so many times...Who put them there? Walkers? Somebody else? Maybe...it is very difficult to find out indeed.

This was the last situation I can mention: yesterday 10 of us went up to Threerock to spend the morning with mountain biking. As we were going along the new trails that has been built under the Coillte control (not to mention they are specificly been designed and built  for mountain bikers!), this what we have seen: 

A proper size rock right in the middle of the trail!
As we went along we have seen about 15 of them taken from the side and placed on the trail. Some of them were quiet big and we had to be very careful to avoid accidents.

On this photo you can see where it has been "dug" out and placed in the way of the cyclists
And this exact situation is just one of the usual stories: trees dragged on the singletracks, rocks been placed in the bends, and more... As result of this we have heard good few cyclist to get injured or get the bike damaged. Luckily I am not one of them, not yet anyway...

Question: Is the 20,000 hectares of the Wicklow mountains not big enough for everybody? I think it's should be. 

Conclusion: I think people must have too much time these days if they have nothing better to do than drag huge rocks on singletracks just to make others life more difficult.

Just to make that clear: I am not judging the walkers and not protecting the cyclists here. Just wondering, do we really need this to happen? Shouldn't it be nicer just to pass each other without any issues? Well, as the sample shows not all of us thinking the same way...

No comments:

Post a Comment