Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New personal best on Kilmashogue climb

I've had my well deserved rest after the race on last Sunday so it was time to get moving  again and get some serious training done. I finished work at 4pm today, just in time to still get out on the bike while the weather is good. Luckily this afternoon was great: nice and warm with lots of sunshine. 

Kilmashogue Climb
I think one of the best place to do interval training is the Kilmashogue Lane. I allways pick this climb if I want to do long enough training with steep gradient. So I got to my starting point which is the gate of the St. Columba's College. The finishing point of the climb is the end of the road up on the mountain. I have decided to ride the tarmac climb all the way up to the top and back 4 times in a row as my interval training for the day. Beside the training my other goal was to get a new personal best time on the climb to be able to set my goals for the future. This allways gives me motivation, something to work for. 
So off I went to get done what was planned. Up and back, up and back... four times. It was great! I got pretty tired but I know this session was very useful for the upcoming XC races.

Details of the climb:

lenght: 2.43 km
elevation gain: 230 m
max gradient: 24% 
avarage gradient: 10.56%
personal best: 12 minutes 19 seconds (on the XC bike)

Graph of the full training

The total training took 1 hour and 47 minutes and I got 35km done with the total elevation of 1007m. It was short but intense, I have burned 1200kcal during the training.

After the training I was very happy to see that I did get a new best time. From now on this is the time I would like to beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment