Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Magura Durin Race (MD80R) '10 suspension fork


I just got delivered the next upgrade for my XC bike, a Magura Durin Race '10 suspension fork. But let's start from the beginning: I use Rock Shox Reba SL fork on my bike for nearly two years. They are lovely forks, never had any issue with them. Until now... Suddenly it has started to leak oil on the right hand side and seams like the lock-out mechanism is broken as well. It is still under warranty, but the time to get it repaired just simply way too long to wait in the middle of the season. 

After some hesitation and calculation I have decided to get a new fork and get the old one repaired with no time pressure. So I end up with a much better fork for racing and the old one will be up for sale when I get it back from the service.

Did all my research and the final choice was this masterpiece from Germany. I never used this fork before but I only heard good things about it. Possibly don't need to say that the Magura sets very high standard if we are talking about disc brakes and suspension forks. So their reputation and the excellent looking design on this fork was enough to pick the Durin Race.




 But let's see what's inside the fancy looking box. Unboxing this sweet piece of kit was a bit like Christmas! :) 

Magura Durin Race (MD80R) suspension fork with 80mm travel in red colour, Magura shock pump that is essential (but I never got any with any other fork I had), lock-out kit and owners manual with all the important info in it.   

After opening the bombproof packaging the fork felt very light straight away so I put it on the scale quickly to see some numbers. Impressive in deed!

Weight difference between Magura Durin Race & Rock Shox Reba SL is more than 200g and the steerer tube hasn't even been cut on the new fork!

Technical features:
  • weight: 1436g (on my scale) with uncut steerer tube
  • cold forged aliminium fork crown with integrated cablestop
  • 9mm safety dropouts (SDO)
  • Double Arch Design (DAD) for stiffness and high steering precision
  • Dynamic Lockout System (DLO+) with remote lever
  • adjustable Dynamic Lockout, rebound, preload (air pressure)
  • PostMount disc brake caliper connection
  • hydraulic cable guide 

All the details are fine, it is easy to spot the precise German design and quality on this excellent fork. I pop into the workshop tomorrow morning and get it fitted on the bike. I am pretty sure it will be much nicer than the old one. Can't wait for the first test ride! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment