Sunday, July 3, 2011

Wicklow Way preparation - Stage 3.1


After couple of weeks time the Wicklow Way "project" is back. Last time I did get as far as Lough Tay so yesterday I hopped on the bike and cycled the next stage of the epic ride. 

Just as I allways do, I did ride from the Marlay Park and covered the stage 1.1 - 1.2 and 2.1 - 2.2 as well but since there is a detailed post up about them I will write only about the stage 3.1 in this post.

The only "company" along my way... :)
I have started the stage 3.1 from the R795 tarmac road from Lough Tay and cycled all the way to Glendalough and Laragh.



Before I got to the start point of the planned stage I did get to see some of the nicest places along the way. It was great to pass by the same places, but on a hot summer day the difference was incredible! 




Everything was vibrant green and I felt the summer in every details: hot temperature, smells, dusty dry trails everywhere. Great stuff! 

After I turned off the main road I got on to this fire road that led me accross opened areas and because it was quiet smooth the pace was very high. After I have passed some lumber site I was still in pace and nearly missed the WW sign beside the road. Luckily I've seen it in the last second so I did turn back and continued my way towards the first accomodation place along the way.

After a short kicker climb the trail got lovely: fast and technical descent with a stunning view of the valley on the other side. But in fairness some drops were tricky enough so I didn't have too much time to look around. :)

Crossing couple of fields and do a short tarmac road climb and there was I : got to the Wicklow Way Lodge. If I know right this place is the first official accomodation point for walkers who walk the whole wicklow way. Got some fresh water (just in time before I got in trouble...) and I was on my way again.


In front of the Wicklow Way Lodge

Maybe about 2 km on tarmac road which was a little relief but after that I got on some farm roads and after that nice singletrack again. This section was great because the trail was nice and quick and the forest was lovely looking on both sides of the trail. I really enjoyed this bit. 

Crossing fields, cycling on fire roads for a while but after all this I got to possibly the nicest place along the Wicklow Way so far. The forest and the trails are absolutely amazing there! Just right before I got to Glendalough but I still did get to enjoy the some of the most stunning looking places that I seen in Ireland since I am here. ;)


It was so much fun to ride those trails indeed. The end of them got a bit more technical and before I hot the main road I had to lift the bike and cross fences about 3-4 times.


Bridge close to Glendalough

Nearly straigh after this point I got to my destination that was planned fro the day, I did arriveto the Glendalough Visitor Centre. Of course I did get close enough to the famous tower to take a photo but I didn't spend too much time there because I still had long way ahead of me before I got home.

In Glendalough

Yesterday must have been one of the hottest day of this year's summer so far. I don't remember a day like this for a long time, so this has made my day even better!
After the spin... I prefer to have sunburn from time to time rather than mud all over me :)
After the 6 hours long spin I was tired & hungry, so the BBQ was necessery :)

General information on the terrain:
  • tarmac road
  • singletrack with grass
  • technical singletrack with rocks / loose rocks
Difficulties:
  • crossing the bridge could be slipper when it's wet
  • the waterdrains could be tricky at some places
  • there are many drops on the trails close to Glendalough

    My journey yesterday

    Elevation graph

    Yesterday's spin was brilliant, it was hard but I loved it! I did cycle 6 hours and covered the distance of 100km with 2100m elevation gain along the way. From Laragh I got home on the tarmac road via Enniskerry. Weather was fantastic I wish to have days like this more often. Next time I will cycle to the 65 km mark along the way which is the official Half Wickow Way. I can't wait! :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment