Thursday, July 28, 2011

"Wintery" morning in July

I've had a rough time on the bike this morning indeed. The plan was to get as much training done as I can before the 12 hours XC race, so I went for my early morning spin at 7am. Quick breakfast, nice morning coffee and I was ready. Looking out the window it seemed just another wet summer morning so I didn't worried too much about it. 

Climbing the "river"... :)
By the time I started to climb up towards the top of  Two Rock the rain got very heavy and as I got to higher altitiude the temperature has dropped as well. At the top where isn't any shelter the wind blown through my soaked gear so I decided to head back towards the Wicklow Way

Savage conditions on a quiet morning in July
Wet and cold up on the top of Two Rock
The downhill was brilliant from the top: very muddy and wet. Streams were running down in every possible direction and the thick fog made everything even better. Great! :)

But...I started to have difficulties with the temperature on the way down on the Kilmashogue lane. I was so wet and cold I just wanted to get home and have a hot shower. Honestly I wanted to have longer spin this morning but I really started to feel cold and the last thing I want is to get sick 1 week before my upcoming race. So I have decided to cut the spin short and got home. 

I got only 1 hour and 30 minutes done today which is far behind what was planned but I think it was good decision to come home early.

No comments:

Post a Comment